Wednesday, October 19, 2011

WILLIAM F. BARLOW 1873/1874-?










This oversized urn has fascinated me since the first time I noticed it at the
Mt Vernon Cemetery in Abigton, Ma. It is actually a planter and at one time
had some shrub or plant growing in it. The only information on it is the plate
on the brick base: William F. Barlow Jr.

I haven't found much information on Mr Barlow but what I did find at a
Rootsweb page might explain the bricks. At Michael Damon's Damon Tree
there is a listing for William F. Barlow Jr who married a Nellie Damon in
North Abington on 27Mar 1881. There is no date or place of birth given
for William but he and Nellie had a son, Allen. William's occupation is given
as "Architect". Perhaps that is the reason for the bricks?

I checked Ancestry and found William on the 1920 Federal Census as
a widower living in nearby Brockton, Ma. His son Allen was living with him
and was 18 years old.  William was 46 and he was born in Rhode Island.

Then I looked for an earlier Census record and found William on the 1880
U.S. Census for Newport Rhode Island.. He was living in the household
headed by his grandparents Moses and Rebecca Barlow. Moses' gave
his occupation as boat builder. William Barlow Sr. lived there as well
and was a 36 year old house carpenter. There is a listing for a 30year
old daughter Maria but it's possible she was William's wife and William
Jr's mother since both William's are listed as sons.

I haven't found a death record yet but now I know a bit more about
the person buried under that unique memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment