Wednesday, January 2, 2013

HIGH STREET CEMETERY, HINGHAM MA, 20FEB 2012 PT1

This is the first of two posts about High Street Cemetery in Hingham, Ma.
which I visited on 20Feb 2012. It's situated on a hill at the corner of
High Street and Main Street (Rte 228) across the street from the South
Shore Baptist Church.

  
Looking down the hill to the Main St exit and church.


  The cemetery has three features that standout. The first is the memorial to the
Grose and related families that stands at the summit of the hill:



  
The next is a beautiful chapel nearby built in 1905 by Albert T. Whiting in
memory of his parents and wife. It dominates the view of the older portion
of the cemetery:








The third feature, while not as imposing as the first two, still caught my fancy
and I'll post about that next,

5 comments:

  1. I have a couple of early settlers who lived in Hingham. ORCUTT (Wm) & LANE (Wm, son Andrew) and associated families. Pretty cemetery, Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to learn what the third feature is...(appears to be a family plot but the choice of burial chambers is rather unique).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the picture of my family's gravestone - Grose. I haven't been back since soon after my grandmother was buried there in 1987; my grandfather is on the one side you photographed. I recognized it almost immediately! I have just started documenting my geneology and this is a great thing to have in my files until we can make a trip north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a directory or way of locating ancestors buried here? Findagrave doesn't tell me where in this cemetery. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete