Thursday, January 3, 2013

HIGH STREET CEMETERY, HINGHAM MA, 20FEB 2012 PT2

The third item of interest (to me, at least) at the High Street Cemetery is a
five sided monument directly across from the Whiting Chapel. On each
side there are one or more plaques of two types. One type is round and
contains the names of members of the Murdock family; the other type
rectangular with quotations, mostly from popular 19th century poems.
I did a Google search for their sources and I've put those I found
in parentheses after the quotes

The first two sides that I photographed had mo family name markers but
had two of the rectangular plaques each, one of which was set at an angle
across the monument. I think it was that odd position that caught my
attention. I'm displaying the sides in the order in which I took the pictures

Side 1


     The plaques read:
Top:
 "I wonder if ever a song was sung
But the singer's heart sang sweeter?
I wonder if ever a rhyme was rung
that the thoughts surassed the meter?
I wonder if ever the sculptor wrought,
till the cold stone echoed his ardent thought
or if ever a painter, with light and shade,
the dream of his inmost heart betrayed."
                                   ("I Wonder"-Anonymous)

Bottom:
"The inner side of every cloud
is bright and shining;
I therefore turn my clouds about,
and always wear them insde out
to show the lining."
                                         (James Whitcomb Riley)

Side 2

Top:
"I wonder if ever a rose was found
and there might not be a fairer!
Or if ever a glittering gem was ground
that we dreamed not of a rarer!
Ah! Never on earth do we find the best
that it waits for us in a land of rest 
and a perfect thing we shall never behold
till we pass the portals of shining gold."
                                         ("I Wonder"-Anonymous)

Bottom:
"Say not "welcome" when I come,
say not "farewell" when I go;
for I come not when I come
and I go not when I go;
for a welcome ne'er I give you,
and a farewell would never say."
                                          ("Always With You"- Shirley de Forrest)

Side 3

Name:
Walter A. Murdock
          Born
     May 8, 1869
          Died
     Aug.25, 1902

The Quotes:
Top:



"Nature is as true to herself in
all future ages as in the past"

"The Bible has been and will be
the educator of the world"

"Our Lord's Prayer is our guide.
If my amendment is accepted.
as we (ought)forgive."
A.L.M.

Bottom:
"The wind has a thousand eyes
and the heart but one;
yet the light of the whole world dies
when love is done."
                            (Haven't found the origin of this yet)

I couldn't find any sources for the quotes on the top plaque were
taken by writings or speeches by a member of the Murdock
family which would explain the initials "A.L.M."

It wasn't until I was preparing this post that I realized I had lost the picture
of the fourth side somehow. You can see on the far right edge of the side
3 photo that there are three of the round name plaques on the missing side
so I suspect that was the front side of the monument.

The fifth side has a missing diagonal plate. You can see the holes drilled
in the monument where it was fastened to the stone:


Side 5

The name:
Albert W. Murdock
           Born
    Nov.15 1855
           Died
    May 27 1903

Bottom:
"Oh, when I am safe in my sylvan home,
I tread on the pride of Greece and Rome.
And when I am stretched beneath the pines,
where the evening star so holy shines.
I laugh at the lore and the pride of man,
at the Sophist Schools and the learned clan;
for what are they all, in their high conceit,
when Man in the bush with God may meet."
                         (Good-bye, Proud World!" -Ralph Waldo Emerson)

One of these days I hope to make it back to the High Street Cemetery and
see what was on that fourth side.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, Bill! At first I thought perhaps someone had attempted to steal the bronze plaque. How interesting that they are designed to be that way.

    ReplyDelete