Tuesday, January 1, 2013

MT. ZION CEMETERY, WHITMAN, MA.

I live in Abington, Massachusetts, a small community south of Boston in Plymouth
County. At one time it was much larger than it is now. including areas that broke
off to form the neighboring towns of Rockland and Whitman. The area is often
referred to as the TriTown Area, and Abington as it was before the breakup is
called the "Old Town".

Mt. Zion Cemetery in Whitman is located on Washington St. near Whitman
Center.It's across the street from the boyhood home of Cardinal Spellman of
New York. (It's a funeral home now). The Washington St. entry isn't noticeable
so it's possible to drive past it without realizing it's there at all. The main entrance
is around the corner on Robert Avenue but the older graves are back up by the
Washington St. entrance.





As I said, Whitman was once part of Abington. But it is still a bit ironic that
the "First Male Child"  born in the "Old Town" lies buried in Whitman.





3 comments:

  1. I think the Washington Street entrance is still the Main Entrance. Entering from Robert Avenue wasn't available back in the 50s; 60s and maybe even the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have relatives buried in the Mount Zion cemetery in Whitman MA. I remember a beautiful wrought iron archway that had the name Mount Zion at the entrance on Washington St. My mom & I visited my great grandparents there yesterday and the sign is completely gone. Does anyone know what happened to it? All that is at the entrance now are 2 stone posts where the arch would have been in between those stones. I don't even know who I could ask. Thank you, Laure A. Vassall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitman Historical Commission - correction, Cardinal Spellman's boyhood home is on Beulah St., here in Whitman. The MacKinnon funeral home now occupies the home that Cardinal Spellman had built for his parents.

    ReplyDelete