Wednesday, September 7, 2011

THE FRIEND TILDEN TOMB, MARSHFIELD HILLS CEMETERY

When I visited the Marshfield Hills Cemetery two weeks ago I saw what
for me was an unusual tomb. The inscription over the entrance reads
"Friend Tilden !879 "  There are two panels of inscriptions at the entrance,
one that apparently broke free and then split in half. Only the bottom of
that panel is visible; the larger top half is leaning face first against the
entrance. The part I'd never encountered before are the headstones lining
the entranceway. They are for the same people listed on the tomb panels.
 Is it possible that Friend Tilden or his family had the remains of his 
parents and other relatives moved there from their original resting places
and included the original headstones in the move?

As I said, it's the first time I've seen something like this. But I'm still a
relative newbie in exploring cemeteries. Has anyone else ever seen
this sort of arrangement in their own explorations?













No comments:

Post a Comment